There is no substitute for a disciplined approach to prayer. As followers of Jesus Christ we should:
- Pray without ceasing (1 Thessalonians 5:17)
- Pray about everything (Philippians 4:6)
In my 18 years of following Jesus Christ, I have found myself to be most disciplined in my prayer life when I create a document that guides me through prayer each day. For the year 2020 I will keep this prayer document tucked in my Bible reading plan that will be launched at SSFBC on Sunday.
I’m calling my current version of my prayer document 2020 Draft 4.0. It will get finalized and laminated tomorrow. Here is what the document currently contains:
May I walk in step with the Spirit: Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. (Gal 5:25)
May I have boldness in preaching the gospel: Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel. (Eph 6:19)
May I be formed into the image of Christ: My dear children, for whom I am again in the pains of childbirth until Christ is formed in you. (Gal 4:19)
May I have a vision for leading SSFBC: Where there is no vision, the people perish. (Prov 29:18)
May I love my wife well: Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her. (Eph 5:25)
May I be filled with discernment and wisdom: If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. (James 1:5)
May I seek first the Kingdom: But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. (Matt 6:33)
- Heart, mind, and body of Katie, Abigail and Wesley
- Spiritual maturity of SSFBC and FBC Crawford
- Weekly ministries of SSFBC
- Staff, ministry leaders, deacons, volunteers, members, visitors of SSFBC
- Those currently with pressing needs
- Sun City Church, El Paso (Brant & Tom)
- Churches of Sulphur Springs
- Am I hurried? Why?
- Am I stressed? Why?
- How can I be obedient today?
- What are today’s priorities?
I’ll provide you with a picture of the final product later in the week. More importantly, I encourage you to find your own way to be disciplined in prayer.